Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Town

 

I was telling you a story . . .
I walked through many cities, thirty thousand days
. . . and I dreamed of a town . . .

It had a plan, a name . . .
a vestige a settlement
I caught a scent
of a perfume that I knew.

A village ended and circled, abutted rivers
without bridges
cataracts impossible to cross in a boat
mountains scratched the sky
through an avalanche of rock and snow

I had bitter tea served in a china cup
in the capital.

I took the government plane.

flimsy jerrycans of kerosene leaked
fog and mist
cloaked sharp as daggers
we passed a long valley

the pilots shouted, coffee sheared groaning spinning
high branches, snapping bones
coconuts littered broke lose
near a garden, scattered.

in a remote wing, a tin-lined box
held a family of spiders

a desk of dark teak
an old lamp
in coagulated light
and a bar of uneaten chocolate partly wrapped in foil
chalk white it became powder,
a letter opener encrusted with colored gems
left it where it was.

each man's footprint is a signet ring

what story is told
or calmed by falling?
cool waters ageless sputtering volcanoes
soaring eagles and two foot clamshells at the bottom of the sea
a kingdom to come
some pestilent impatient living thing hurts to think
of a thick rolled ball
some dark force galactic solar fate set
like a rooster waiting
for dawn

storytellers are not to be trusted.
maybe I already said this . . . no matter . . .

A sky of leaves,
a network of twigs.
Each twig became a star.

The brightest star becomes a child.


Featured Post

Guide to Chaga Harvesting and Preparation

I've already posted on the positive benefits of Chaga for the health. Other sites on the web go into detail about this bounty of th...

Search This Blog