Thursday, October 28, 2010

Butte Chaumont




The trees of Butte Chaumont!
I know their shapes,
their branches, forked,
they took the same turns I took.
We know each other.
and when I first see them again
their needles tremble.

Antoine Gasq makes sculptures
at one-one-eight Rue des Couronnes.
I stopped in to visit him,
his face whitened when he saw me
“It is not possible” he said, in French.

“Mark I was just talking about you,
. . . five minutes ago,
for the first time I think,
. . . in years.”

“Do you recognize this?” he asked, and patted a table covered with figures.
“I think of you every time I put something down”, he said.

Pictures of his children dusty with plaster,
Were tacked above the desk.
Six years ago, before I saw him last
the first was not born.
He is working well
And about to move to a bigger studio
in the suburbs.

He turns to a cabinet and produces some cognac.
Time for a break.
He pours two glasses, on the old table.

"Salut!"

The girls at the Patisserie on Rue de Belleville
are grown up, and probably married.

I recognized them,
They did not recognize me.

I bought a pear tart,
which they wrapped in the same paper
just as their mother wrapped sweets
when they were little and watching
how she did things.

Some things do not change.



Featured Post

Guide to Chaga Harvesting and Preparation

I've already posted on the positive benefits of Chaga for the health. Other sites on the web go into detail about this bounty of th...

Search This Blog