Sunday, November 7, 2010

Moraine



Two streams flow opposite,
between them,
a mile long moraine,
     sliding pebbles and gravel.

The glacier found no gold,
     just a load of pan.

Years ago dozers came through,
     and hauled away the big pines that blew down.

Blueberries, and some young black spruce, are holding on.

I struggled up and over,
     to see if I could remember,
       which stream flowed east and which flowed west.

Sun down, sky my map, clouds forming,
     a symmetrical landscape,
     Only young conifers nearby.
       They don't know the way.

A white-throated sparrow sings.

Which side did I come up?
A few flies buzz my ear,
       I'm the biggest warm thing for miles.

Perhaps there's a moose, or bear,
A river got lost here beneath a mile of ice.
Now I am where it meandered,
       under a star-less sky.

I pile up ferns to pass the night.
     a soft green pillow, rich in spore to dream.
I pause that I might hear
     a rifle shot,
       from other lost men.

Featured Post

Guide to Chaga Harvesting and Preparation

I've already posted on the positive benefits of Chaga for the health. Other sites on the web go into detail about this bounty of th...

Search This Blog