Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tea-bowl for Ami, #28 of 36, "Fire and a Shawl"



















     "A weft ikat by fire woven,
      A sketch of flames in a witches' coven.
      On that sari, or pashmina shawl,
      My drawing behind lies hidden from all."

In cup time I'm probably out walking around a remote body of water, looking at mushrooms and plants. In cursor time I'm still in New Haven, updating these posts before hitting the road. In fire time? I have to get busy and load my kiln - I'm way backlogged in bisque! In day time it's time to get off this machine and over to the studio. Yes I went on vacation, and left this project on autopilot for four days.

So I'm overjoyed to find a few of these mugs have been 'taken'.

I've purposely shown the ashy fire side of this one, and not the red-flashed drawing on the other side. The difference comes down to this - my work or the fire's work? Which is better? Do I have to ask? Sometimes I show the drawing side simply because you have to see what the drawing is to know whether you'd even give this cup a chance in your life. But clearly the fire always, always beats me.

So what is the right 'place' for a drawing, for man's work. Should man's work be in front of nature, or behind it?

I've saved this beauty for my dear wife. She likes the size and feel of it. 


-:-

  123,  4,  5,  6
  78910,11,12

Featured Post

Guide to Chaga Harvesting and Preparation

I've already posted on the positive benefits of Chaga for the health. Other sites on the web go into detail about this bounty of th...

Search This Blog